Monday, November 8, 2010

Cooking Italy! - A Farm Wife's Fresh Pear Tart



I am enjoying a small slice of Pear Tart for breakfast, as I write.  And why not?  It is mostly fruit, held together with a bit of tart dough.  With so little dough, the wonderful taste of pear really shines through.  Although the tart dough I am used to tends to be crisper and more tender than this recipe, I think it would have been too brittle to hold all the pears slices together.  Although the recipe calls for 2 pounds of pears, I used about 1 - 1/2 pounds - more than that and I don't think there would have been enough batter to hold it all together.

The recipe called for studding the tart with about a dozen cloves - I used eight, but would probably use more next time.  We like cloves!  I would also add some cinnamon to the batter, or perhaps sprinkle some on top, next time I make this.  Being of Greek descent, these are both spices that come very naturally to me.

For an adaptation of Hazan's recipe please visit my friend Sue's post.  She is a yoga instructor in Christchurch, New Zealand and has recently been through a horrific earthquake that will take them years to recover from.  I continue to send prayers and good karma their way.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Your tart looks lovely too! Welcome back...it's wonderful to see you again! Just made a similar one with apples...how there was batter to hold it together amazed me! Happy cooking my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, your tart looks wonderful - I remember wondering how on earth that little bit of batter was going to hold all that pear together, but somehow it did :-) I ate it for breakfast every day too, until it was all gone. Which reminds me I need to make this again.

    Thanks so much for the mention, and for thinking of us all here. We have all been really incredibly lucky - considering our earthquake was bigger than the one in Haiti, where they lost between 250,000 and 300,000 lives, and we didn't lose a single one, the outcome has been nothing short of miraculous. Yes, many people have lost their homes, businesses and jobs, but everyone is being well cared for by our government and social services and we all still have our lives - we have much to be thankful for. Thanks again so much for thinking of us.

    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting, Glennis and Sue! I didn't think anyone would find my new "home" and didn't think to check for comments until today!

    Tonight - chicken fricassee! Slowly catching up :-)

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to your comments!